Intune Enrollment QR Code - Two connection types

tomgenprofile
Level 1.5: Cupcake

Hi, all
I'm trying to modify our original enrollment token (Intune - Fully Managed Device QR Code) so that the device can enroll using mobile data OR any wifi network.
I managed to add this to an existing QR code

android.app.extra.PROVISIONING_USE_MOBILE_DATA":true,

Unfortunately, using such a QR code on a phone that does not have mobile data transmission means that the enrollment process no longer asks for the WIFI network and ends in failure.
To sum up, I want to create an enrollment code that works as follows:
1. Allow enrollment using mobile data.
2. If mobile data does not work - ask for any WIFI.

5 REPLIES 5

Moombas
Level 4.0: Ice Cream Sandwich

We used it i the past without issues even for the case you mentioned.

No SIM inserted, so got asked for Wifi credentials.

You could also (if possible because always same wifi) provide the Wifi credentials at the same time so it uses what it gets.

tomgenprofile

Situation you discribed also works for me - (with original Intune QR code.)
Other way around, when code is modyfied to use mobile data, enrollment process never asked for wifi network.

So my concern is how to remodel QR code to use ANY accessible network

Moombas

No, as i said, we used QR codes always with android.app.extra.PROVISIONING_USE_MOBILE_DATA":true, in it and it always worked. With and without SIM inserted. For sure if there's a SIM inserted you won't be asked for a Wifi but i think that's not your issue as i understood it.

But we also don't use intune but another MDM but i also think this is not MDM related in your case.

Example QR:

{"qrCodeContent":

{"android.app.extra.PROVISIONING_DEVICE_ADMIN_SIGNATURE_CHECKSUM":"I5YvS0O5hXY46mb01BlRjq4oJJGs2kuUcHvVkAPEXlg",

"android.app.extra.PROVISIONING_DEVICE_ADMIN_COMPONENT_NAME":"com.google.android.apps.work.cloudpc/.receivers.CloudDeviceAdminReceiver",

"android.app.extra.PROVISIONING_DEVICE_ADMIN_PACKAGE_DOWNLOAD_LOCATION":"https://play.google.com/managed/downloadManagingApp?identifier=setup",

"android.app.extra.PROVISIONING_WIFI_SSID":"SSID",

"android.app.extra.PROVISIONING_WIFI_SECURITY_TYPE":"WPA",

"android.app.extra.PROVISIONING_WIFI_PASSWORD":"Password",

"android.app.extra.PROVISIONING_USE_MOBILE_DATA":true,

"android.app.extra.PROVISIONING_SKIP_ENCRYPTION":true,

"android.app.extra.PROVISIONING_ADMIN_EXTRAS_BUNDLE":

{"com.google.android.apps.work.clouddpc.EXTRA_ENROLLMENT_TOKEN":"YourToken",

"PROVISIONING_MODE":"FULLY_MANAGED_DEVICE"}

},

"expirationDate": "2025-12-31T18:29:59.920206Z"}

tomgenprofile

Thanks for explanation. Yep, you understood me correctly.
We are using only android.app.extra.PROVISIONING_USE_MOBILE_DATA":true, without any WiFi network defined.

Must check again, but my last test result was: enrollment stuck on searching for cellular network.

Moombas

Have you tried with a different model / manufacturer to sort out a device issue?

It can be that the OEM of your device acts different than expected.