Zero-Touch-Registration is not available

Zackory
Level 1.5: Cupcake

Dear Community Members,

We are currently encountering an issue with the enrollment of three recently acquired Samsung S23 devices. While we are able to successfully enroll other devices, these specific models are presenting a persistent problem.

The error message displayed is as follows: "Zero-Touch Registration is not available. Check your internet connection and try again."

To address this, we have attempted the following troubleshooting steps:

1. Utilized mobile data from various carriers as well as Wi-Fi connections, yet the error persists.
  2. Formatted the devices.
  3. Completely removed the devices from the Zero-Touch portal (https://partner.android.com/zerotouch#) and subsequently re-added them.
  4. Attempted manual enrollment using the QR Code provided by Intune.

Despite these efforts, the issue remains unresolved. Interestingly, we have successfully enrolled a Samsung XCover 5 without encountering any similar difficulties.

We are reaching out to inquire if others in the community are experiencing similar challenges with Samsung S23 devices. Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Kind regards,

Zackory

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Lizzie
Google Community Manager
Google Community Manager

Hello everyone, 

I hope you are doing well. 

I wanted to come back to you all with some positive news a fix has been implemented for this issue. I've heard from a couple of you that this is now working. If you could all check your impacted devices please to see if this has been resolved and let me know, that would be a great help. 

Once again a massive thank you for all the feedback you have shared in this discussion, it has really helped to get this resolved. 

Hope to hear from you soon and thanks again.

Lizzie

P.S - I will mark this as resolved and update the service announcement, but do keep me posted if you believe this isn't the case. Thanks.

Welcome to the Community everyone!

Have a question or want to start a conversation, click here.

View solution in original post

70 REPLIES 70

Zackory

Picture of error message in GermanPicture of error message in German

Moombas
Level 4.0: Ice Cream Sandwich

Hi Zackory, have you tried Samsung Knox to direct the device to your MDM instead? Is the network you use, unrestricted?

Zackory

Hi Moombas,

we do not use Samsung Knox currently. The network we are using ist unrestricted. 

jasonbayton
Level 3.0: Honeycomb

Hi Zackory, 

Are you using Knox Mobile Enrolment at all? Any chance they may be registered there by a reseller? If so they should be removed.

Zackory

Hello Jason,

we don't use Knox Mobile Enrolment at all. We are only using Intune and https://partner.android.com/zerotouch#. Is there any way to check if the device is enrolled to Knox Mobile Enrolment?

Moombas

@jasonbayton, but even if registered in Knox as long as there is no config assigned wasn't it like this behavior:

1. Knox lookup for assigne configuration etc.
2. If there was nothing, Google ZTP checking for assigned config

3. If there is also nothing found: Enroll like consumer device

@Zackory Did you try to enroll using mobile data instead just to verify it's not working there as well?

Zackory

@Moombas I tried mobile data from different carriers. 

treborny

@Zackory   Have you been able to resolve this issue?  It appears we are having the same issue in our region (NY Area).  I was only able to find your post reporting this issue.   Trying to gauge how widespread this issue is and if a solution has been identified that you can share. 

@jasonbayton   @Moombas   have you encountered other companies that are having the same issue?  Has Samsung and/or Google acknowledged the provisioning outage? 

Moombas

Hi @treborny, i can only talk for the company i currently work for 😉 but, no I haven't seen this issue yet. Even on the MDM customer portal no one has posted such issue or request yet.

Zackory

Hey @treborny , we successfully bypassed this issue by manually enrolling with the QR code. Initially, it was impossible because I used the afw#setup method. However, after a factory reset, if you tap the screen 6 times at the "Choose Language" panel, it redirects you to a QR code scanner. Scanning the enrollment QR code at this stage works.

The problem isn't fixed yet, but we now have a workaround.

Zackory

@weberda @EdwinK @Peter read my previous comment. you will find a bypass method to get it working.

Btw we are currently in contact with Microsoft directly to fix this. I will keep you updated.

HarmonJames

We have tried enrolling with QR-codes to bypass the problem. Everything seemed fine, but after the setup was finished, the devices got a 1 hour count down and after 1 hour the device resets back to factory defaults.

The workaround did not work for us, but it might work for others.

Hi @Zackory @HarmonJames 

same situation here! Either the same error appears or the 1 hour counter starts and resets the device afterwards.

No workaround for us.

Moombas

But in this case your devices are detected by ZTP correctly (somehow) but only after the initial setup. The behavior is as you described. Still worth information i think for Samsung and Google to investigate.

But in your cases: Didi something change after the initial setup to different Wifi/LTE usage or so, so that the devices have then an other data connection maybe less restricted?

jeremy
Level 2.3: Gingerbread

This is the expected Zero Touch behaviour, if you enroll a device and skip the Zero Touch enrollement by using a QR Code or by not enrolling at all, the device will force you to reset it and start again with ZTE

Hi @HarmonJames 
You've to setup the device as "No configuration" in GZT for avoid the need of a factory reset.
You can revert the change after the device configuration is done.
@weberda FYI.

How was this countdown captured? Was this an error message that appeared?

Thanks

Peter

How do you perform the factory reset? I'm looking for a (end) user friendly way

Moombas

The device is requesting this itself (as there's the 1 hour deadline).

Otherwise:

Do it via settings (different menu setup from Android and OEM versions, so no general guide possible) or via recovery menu (if available; for example Nokia removed this possibility).

Or (as it's then already connected to the MDM) send the wipe via the MDM).

Lizzie
Google Community Manager
Google Community Manager

Hello @treborny and @Zackory,

Thanks for your posts here and for highlighting. 

I've reported this back to our team internally. When I hear more on this I'll let you know. 

Thank you,

Lizzie

HarmonJames

We are also experiencing the same problem. Samsung S23+
Please give this issue a high priority. We have several users who are now without a working phone.

EricW
Level 1.6: Donut

Thank you, I have discovered this issue this week when a user accidently wiped their phone. It is a Samsung S22 same issue with an S23. We use Microsoft Intune. Strangely when I went to Intune to check the ZTE it asked me to re-enroll. Nothing changed. I got Microsoft on a support call. They told me to contact Android support. I stumbled somehow into this thread and was happy to see I am not the only one having this issue.

EdwinK

We have the same problem, it just looks like it only affects Android 14 Enrollment.

Older devices with Android 13 work just fine.

Lizzie
Google Community Manager
Google Community Manager

Hello @Zackory@HarmonJames@EdwinK@treborny,

To those who I haven't met yet, nice to meet you, my name is Lizzie and I manage the community here. 

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing this issue and thanks again for your highlighting here in the community. I wanted to come back and recommend, if you haven't already, would you mind please contacting Samsung in the first instance. 

I'll also continue to provide your updates to our team internally. 

Thanks again and speak to you soon.

Lizzie