Disable gesture mode

Moombas
Level 4.0: Ice Cream Sandwich

Hi all,

has anyone been able to force fully managed devices to use 3 button navigation instead of gesture mode which is very painfull (since Android is forcing this) in many admin cases?

Could be also be an intent if available.

Our vendor of the devices tried to integrate that into their OEM config app but (as they told us) Google restricted that, so we ended up to do this manually on every single device.

Maybe @Lizzie you know someone to ask about that?

8 REPLIES 8

Lizzie
Google Community Manager
Google Community Manager

Hey @Moombas,

I hope you are having a great start to the week. 

Thanks for checking, I'm going to have a look into this and get back to you. I wonder would you mind providing a bit more context on why the gesture mode isn't suitable please?

Thanks so much,

Lizzie

Welcome to the Community everyone!

Have a question or want to start a conversation, click here.

Moombas

One thing is personnel: I like buttons way more because they are faster to execute = more productive (ex. pressing on a button is faster than swiping to right or up).

The other thing is "remote control" related: You can't use gestures in a good way if you remote control a device, buttons are way better, even there's a menu available providing you some of the options. Again way faster to work directly on the screen than to push those buttons outside of it.

Also to get (for example) in our MDM out of the kiosk mode you may need to push the "back" (triangle) button long to get prompted to enter admin password (especially directly on the device if it's offline for some reason). This isn't possible with gesture mode.

I mean if Google want's to force such thing, ok. But then provide MDM's, companies etc. to set this automatically to what they want via OEMConfig app, intent or similar instead of doing this manually. We are looking forward for a bigger replacement where this could be nice not to do manually.

jasonbayton
Level 3.0: Honeycomb

Our vendor of the devices tried to integrate that into their OEM config app but (as they told us) Google restricted that

I'd love to hear more about this, while it's not on my immediate device roadmap it's something more customers are asking for and I see no technical reason a settings config wouldn't be supported within OEMConfig. Device manufacturing/software partners have a tendency to rule things out without much research/effort, so I'd push back on that.

Moombas

We were in contact with the manufacturer because of that and they said, they would have a solution but can't apply because Google restricts.

Their response was: "We have already studied the possibilities to include this in our OEM config app but based on Google limitations we cannot do that."

And in general I see no reason to restrict an EMM changing settings on a fully managed device. On such a device all settings should be able to be changed.

jasonbayton
Level 3.0: Honeycomb

Ask them for their full technical feasibility study and results, including links or references to what they say Google doesn't permit. 

I get this on a monthly basis

Moombas

Not sure if I would get this.

I think it will make more sense when we know which device/manufacturer will be the next one, currently looking forward to an FRP.

Moombas

As expected, nothing heard from the "old" manufacturer regarding this.

But is there anything from Google side to be able to presented (intent or that an MDM or OEM config should be able to do this)? @Lizzie @ReeceK 

Lizzie
Google Community Manager
Google Community Manager

Thanks for the update on this @Moombas. I'm looking into this to see if we can get more clarity, I'll come back to you once I know more. 

Thank you,

Lizzie

Welcome to the Community everyone!

Have a question or want to start a conversation, click here.