Not able to print from Google Docs

Moombas
Level 4.0: Ice Cream Sandwich

Hi all,

we provided Google docs, sheets and slides to our devices.

We set managed app config (allow of using printing api and usage without Google account).

We noticed now that printing is possible on sheets and slides but not on docs.

Is there any known issue rgarding this? I mean I'm a bit confused because it works from the other two.

Maybe @Lizzie and @ReeceK you kno more about that or can ask internally?

36 REPLIES 36

ReeceK
Google Community Team

Hi @Moombas 

I hope you're having a great Monday!

I wanted to double-check with you: Have you successfully printed via Google Docs before? Also, have you checked with your colleagues to see if this is a problem specific to you or if it's affecting others in the company as well?

Thanks, Reece

Moombas

Hi ReeceK,

we tested on several devices (my test device and even devices out in production).

All look the same. Sheet and slides are fine but docs doesn't show up this option on the devices.

ReeceK
Google Community Team

Hi @Moombas 

Thanks for the update. 

Interesting, I will do some investigating on my side and see if it is a known issue. 

I will keep you up to date once I hear more. 

Thanks,
Reece

ReeceK
Google Community Team

Hi @Moombas 

Just to confirm, is the option just not appearing? and have you checked if Google Docs is on the latest version?. 

Thanks,
Reece

Moombas

Yes, the option is not appearing:

Docs (missing):

Moombas_0-1708412265546.png

Sheets (working):

Moombas_1-1708412312095.png

Same device, same setup, same managed app config,...

Moombas_2-1708412405160.png

ReeceK
Google Community Team

Hey @Moombas 

Thank you for the update.  I have passed this onto my colleagues to look into for me. I should get a response in the upcoming days. 

Thanks,

Reece

ReeceK
Google Community Team

Hi @Moombas 

We are verifying if there are any known issues in regards to printing via Google Docs. 

Are you able to share the app config string you used and is the app config assigned to each of these applications within the application panel of your EMM?

Thanks,

Reece

Moombas

Hi @ReeceK,

we don't provide any config string, we just tick the options on the MDM GUI (see last screenshot provided before) and then it's provided by the MDM (Soti Mobicontrol) to the devices. We provide apps only using the EMM, nothing else.

ReeceK
Google Community Team

Hi @Moombas 

Thanks for the update, I have gone back to my colleague with your response. I should hear back soon on this. 

Thanks

Reece

Moombas

Hi @ReeceK

anything new to this?

ReeceK
Google Community Team

Hi @Moombas 

Appreciate your patience with this. 

Out of interest, have you tried one of your unmanaged devices connected to the same internet(SSID) to see if you could print the item from the Google Doc? if so, does that work?. 

Thanks,
Reece

Moombas

The printing itself may not the issue but the option to start a print is not there.

On my private device (with a private Google account) i have in general way more options available including printing. Which is not the case for the fully managed device (without an regular Google account) but with exactly same (managed app config) setup on same device for sheets and slides. 

ReeceK
Google Community Team

Hi @Moombas 

It appears that printing Google Docs isn't presenting any known issues based on the conversations I've had with people so far. I'll continue investigating, but it seems everything is set up correctly on your end.

Thanks

Reece

ReeceK
Google Community Team

Hey @Moombas,

How's it going? 😊

Just wanted to check in and see if you found a solution to this issue? 

Thanks, Reece

Moombas

Hey @ReeceK,

our MDM provider is currently looking into it. I still wait for a final result if it'S really on their end or if i need to reach out to you again 😉

ReeceK
Google Community Team

Hey @Moombas 

I'm really eager to find out what the issue is. Let's hope your MDM provider can sort it out. If not, I'll be more than happy to help! Haha 

Reece

Moombas

Just a short information, our MDM vendor thinks its an issue on their side after some tests, so still ongoing.

ReeceK
Google Community Team

Hey @Moombas 

Thanks for the update! 

Did they give you any detail on how long it will take for them to resolve the issue?. 

Thanks,
Reece

Moombas

No, as there is still investigation ongoing. Normally they announce at some point that the next update (of the agent or MDM itself) will solve the issue.

ReeceK
Google Community Team

Hey @Moombas 

Thanks for the update, if there is anything I can do on my end please let me know.

Thanks,

Reece

Moombas

Hey @ReeceK,

i think i need to clarify something as I did some further testing after some hints from our MDM support:

1. I figured out that my document (on the private device) got somehow (I never did “confirmed” that) transformed into a Google Docs document, so that’s the reason I was able to print from here.
    1. I copied the docx file created for my test device to my private one: I am not able to print it (it's in compatibility mode, why?)
    2. Created a new file in Micosoft 365 app on both devise: not able to print it via Google docs (it's in compatibility mode, why?)
  2. I also noticed that I have more possibilitys on my private device:
    1. I was able to choose on that Google docs docx file to save it as word docx file (i don't have this option on the managed device, why?)
  1.     No option for that on the managed device, no Google drive app on both devices!
    1. Then I get again the docx tag on the top and I still can print it

So, finally it seems to make a difference in Google Docs to have a device with a “normal” Google account on it and one without. 

As we don't have regular Google accounts and only the ones for providing the apps on the managed devices, i see the issue again on Google side as Sheets and Presentations don't show this issue.

ReeceK
Google Community Team

Hi @Moombas ,

Happy Friday!

Your insights got me thinking: 

• Do you suspect any unique settings or configurations on managed devices causing the compatibility mode issue with Google Docs?

• Could differences in Google Docs versions between your private and managed devices be playing a role here?

• Just to confirm, you mentioned the issue doesn't arise with Google Sheets, correct?

Lastly, despite having to include a normal account, are you able to print now? 😅

Thanks for getting back to me on this.
Reece

Moombas

@ReeceK I unmarked my prior post from being a solution as it's not.

The issue more likely seem to be that sheets and presentations allow to print xlsx and pptx files created by Microsoft Office but docs doesn't allow it for docx created by Microsoft office.

So in my opinion this is an app issue (somehow) independent from managing a device even i have more possibilitys inside the app if it's unmanaged.

So, my request is more: Get it fixed, that i can print docx documents from Google docs which are originally from Microsoft Office and not transformed into a Google docs (or even back) which is the case for the other 2 mentioned Google apps.

ReeceK
Google Community Team

Hi @Moombas,

It appears that the issue could stem from compatibility and formatting concerns. There's a possibility that the content you're attempting to print contains elements incompatible with Google Docs.

To ensure we've covered all bases, have you performed software updates and attempted converting the file into a different format?. 😊

Thanks

Reece