Multiple Work Profile in one Android device

Stuti
Level 1.5: Cupcake

I have to add multiple work profile account in a single Android device how can it be done. Or can we make work profile as normal google mail to sign in multiple accounts? Help with the suggestion.

3 REPLIES 3

Moombas
Level 4.0: Ice Cream Sandwich

You can have only one work profile on one device (please correct me if I'm wrong) but depending on your MDM used, i would recommend to look into something like "shared device" where the relevant user logs in (on a login page/kiosk screen) and when logged out all relevant and sensitive data is being removed,

But in that case it's not a private (BYOD) device anymore, has to be then a fully managed device (COBO).

Just an example from our MDM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMxxd8KxGUQ

jasonbayton
Level 3.0: Honeycomb

This is an arbitrary limit set by Google back when devices were running around with 512mb RAM and needs to change. But until then, as Moombas says it's only possible to have one work profile at a time.

Alex_Muc
Level 2.0: Eclair

It is currently not possible to have two Work Profiles.
The data on a devices with a work profile is separated via Android users. The personal area is the system/primary user and the work profile is a secondary user. However, I suspect that the work profile is a special case among the secondary users. In addition, a second work profile could not currently be displayed via the interface.

If multiple people are supposed to work with one device, Moombas' suggestion is a good one.
However, the options vary greatly depending on the MDM used and which device manufacturer (OEMs) is involved.

One option are kiosk (/work managed) devices, where the app selection is set and the app data is reset after a certain time (or a logout).
Alternatively, there is also the multi-user functionality in Android, which may also be supported by some MDMs. However, multi-user is an optional feature for OEMs. Samsung, for example, only offers this feature on tablets.