Cannot reinstall Webapps after EMM migration

mma_OCWS
Level 1.6: Donut

Hello community.

I'm opening this post because a customer is experiencing an issue with private apps and webapps uninstalling and not reinstalling after a device migration from one EMM to another.

The source EMM is Ivanti Endpoint Mobile Manager (formerly MobileIron Core) and the destination EMM is Ivanti Neurons for MDM (formerly MobileIron Cloud).

Ivanti has developed a migration tool between Core and Cloud. Web apps that were present in Core have been recreated in Cloud, but when devices migrate, web apps uninstall and do not reinstall. Only newly enrolled cloud devices can install web apps.

Do you know the cause of this problem and if there is a solution other than re-enrolling the migrated devices?

Regarding private applications, MobileIron/Ivanti support told us that it is necessary to retrieve the Google company id from the Cloud and integrate it into the google play developer console of the Core for each private application that was present in the Core.

However, when the customer connects to the Google Play Developer account which used to activate the Android Enterprise service on the Core, the customer is asked to pay $25 to finalize the Google Play Developer account.

Isn't the creation of this console free when you integrate a very first private application from the Google Play iframe on an EMM?

Thanks for your help

8 REPLIES 8

Tonyvg2013
Level 1.5: Cupcake

That was the same experience, I had with overtly trial after unsuccessfully finding a resource that would guide me in the context of request to the vendor to aid in respect to reissuing the installation twice. The licensed  initial conversion individually carriers it's certification, so excusably it's not a way at least, I was not able to reintroduced the Enterprise to the details of the experience with such purchase an other implementation is my personal advice. 

jasonbayton
Level 4.0: Ice Cream Sandwich

Hi there, 

Apologies for the delay!

For webapps, can you confirm devices are being correctly targeted? How have you distributed webapps at the moment? 

For private apps, you've three options - 

1. Go to advanced options within the iframe > private app that'll take you to the google play console, $25 should not be necessary if you go in via this route (please confirm). Then head to advanced settings, managed google play, and input the new enterprise ID for organisations the app is available for

2. Head to Google Play with a new developer account ($25 necessary) and upload fresh copies with unique package names. Set them private and do the same as 1. This allows you in future to move EMM platforms without this struggle.

3. In the new EMM, upload the private apps again with new package names.

Hi Jason,

Regarding private applications, we managed to access the Google Play console without paying through "advanced options" via the Google Play iframe on the EMM,

And the customer encounters his installation problem only for web applications and not for private applications but thank for your help.

For web applications : Yes, the devices are correctly targeted because on the device enrolled in EMM "Ivanti Neurons for MDM", the EMM agent (MobileIron Go) has a sub-menu called "apps@work" (which is like the Google Play but for Ivanti) in which we can see all the same applications distributed from the EMM like on the private playstore application.

In customer's case, he can see all web applications in apps@work but he don't see it in Google private playstore application

Regarding the installation mode, Web applications are installed in silent installation mode (automatic installation without user intervention).

When you click on one of the web applications via apps@work, an error appears and it is impossible to install it manually.

We have escalated this issue for web applications to MobileIron Support. They told us that it was a known limitation but they did not specify where? (Android Enterprise or EMM)

Do you know for your part, if this is a limitation linked to Google or to the EMM itself?

jasonbayton

Sounds like an issue on Ivanti's side, but I can't say that with certainty. @Lizzie are we aware of any webapp installation issues with migrated devices?

When you open the managed Google Play iFrame, you see your web applications created and looking fine there, yeah? Perhaps create a new one in there and target it fresh to the devices.

Lizzie
Google Community Manager
Google Community Manager

Thanks @jasonbayton for mentioning me here. 

Great to meet you @mma_OCWS. I checked internally about what you are experiencing here and in the first instance we would recommend contacting your EMM (Ivanti) and checking this with them, as perhaps the webapps haven't created properly during the migration. Then take it from there.

If you could keep me posted that would be fantastic. I hope you get this sorted. 

Thanks,

Lizzie

Welcome to the Community everyone!

Have a question or want to start a conversation, click here.

mma_OCWS
Level 1.6: Donut

Hello Lizzie,

Ok I will open a new ticket to the EMM Support.

I keep you in touch 

Hello Jayson,

This manipulation has already been carried out, because the client had all of its web applications on Ivanti Endpoint Mobile Manager (Mobileiron Core) which is the old EMM. On the new EMM Ivanti Neurons for MDM (MobileIron Cloud) he has re-created all of these web applications on the Google Play iframe.

They are clearly visible and appear to be functional. But none of the web applications are installed on devices that have migrated from Core to the Cloud.

Only devices that newly enroll on Mobileiron Cloud have the web apps installed.

jasonbayton

OK, bizarre. 

Can you grab a bug report? Ideally after creating a new test webapp in play targeted to the device, and that should offer some indication of what's happening.