Widgets on COPE - MS Intune

jarmo_akkanen
Level 2.0: Eclair

Hey,
Unfortunately there are no settings and/or no chance configure Widgets on COPE in MS Intune. There is specific setting in Intune restrictions config profile to allow/disallow Widgets for BYOD method.
Is this problem tied only MS Intune or is this something for Google? 

Majority of our 10k fleet enrolled as  COPE and it's a big gap not having widgets available for Work Apps.

Thanks
Jarmo 

9 REPLIES 9

Moombas
Level 4.0: Ice Cream Sandwich

Hi Jarmo,
we have fully managed devices only and widgets for provided apps are available but we don't use Intune but different MDM.

jarmo_akkanen

Hey Ras, 
You mentioned "fully managed"....  Are you using COPE or COBO? Which MDM your using? VMware Workspace One or some other?
If it's available for you with different MDM then I think this is something for the Microsoft make it available in Intune as well.
Thanks
Jarmo

Moombas

I don't like that description even it's jused a lot, i know.
I differentiate between "fully managed" (work only) which means that the device is entirely managed/full accessable and  owned by the company (we only use this currently) but could be re-enrolled by the enduser if needed and "work profile" which means a fully managed device with a private part and work profile installed (what you call COPE).
I left out BYOD here now, because i think this doesn't matter here.

You may take a look into this: https://vmlabblog.com/2021/04/how-to-add-widgets-for-work-profile-apps/

We are using Soti Mobicontrol and as said, only "fully managed" via Zero-Touch for now.

jarmo_akkanen

Hi RAS, 

Thank you for your info. I just did further testing and this is the result for Microsoft Intune:

1. Personally-Owned with Work Profile (BYOD) enrolled = Widgets available for WP apps
2. Corporate-Owned with Work Profile (COPE) enrolled = Widgets NOT available for WP apps
3. Fully Managed (COBO) = Widgets available for apps

I will compose a ticket to MS if they have plans to bring setting available for widgets on Corporate-Owned with Work Profile (COPE) enrolled devices.
thanks
Jarmo

jasonbayton

I've run through all the policy settings for WP/COPE also and it appears indeed widgets are only configurable in the personally owned configuration profile. I'd agree with you raising it with MS, please report back 🙂

Personal: 

jasonbayton_0-1689336600600.png

Company: Not present.

jarmo_akkanen

Hey, We did a DCR (Design Change Request) to Microsoft to have Widgets available for Work Profile app on devices enrolled as COPE (Corporate-Owned Personally Enabled).

According to Microsoft "DCR is 
approved and is in the pipeline for future releases, however there is no ETA due to our product group taking and completing the requests based on severity."

I'll keep you posted once there is ETA available or DCR completed and widgets available.
-jarmo

Lizzie
Google Community Manager
Google Community Manager

Fantastic to see your DCR got approved and that it's in the pipeline for future releases, thanks so much for the update here @jarmo_akkanen.

Would you mind accepting your last reply as 'Accept as Solution' this way it will highlight it if others are looking for something similar. 

Thanks again. 

Lizzie

Welcome to the Community everyone!

Have a question or want to start a conversation, click here.

jasonbayton

Good news! That was surprisingly easy for a Microsoft product too 😉

Similar issue in our org, we've raised a DCR also for it, if you get an update would be great if you could share here  @jarmo_akkanen