blokking apps on private section using COPE profile with Intune

Lamm
Level 1.6: Donut
We have a use case where we use Android devices that are corporate-owned but also personally-enabled. Within our ogranisation, we want the capability to trace and block apps. However, this is currently not possible because the apps are installed in the private section. Is there a way to achieve this in the private section?

We are using Microsoft Intune as our MDM (Mobile Device Management) environment.
9 REPLIES 9

Moombas
Level 4.0: Ice Cream Sandwich

There must be a way (even i don' have COPE devices in place).

We are using a different MDM and have the option to block apps for the private section and for the work section as well:

Moombas_0-1695709576756.png

Lizzie
Google Community Manager
Google Community Manager

Hello @Lamm,

Thanks so much for your question here, and sorry for my delay in responding. 

Adding to what @Moombas responded with here, I know it is possible functionality ie. here is a guide on it from VMWare, however I'm currently checking to see if it is available on Intune,

I'm just waiting to hear back on this, once I have this information I'll update you here. 

If anyone else using Intune can help here in the meantime, please do share. 

Thanks so much,

Lizzie

Welcome to the Community everyone!

Have a question or want to start a conversation, click here.

Lamm

Hi @Lizzie ,

No need to apologize for the delay, we understand that everyone has their own busy schedules. Thank you for taking the time to research and provide valuable information on this topic. It's great that you're looking into the possibility of this functionality on Intune.

Switching to VMWare is now not the option.

Looking forward to your update once you have more information. Thanks again for your dedication to helping the community!

Moombas

Just let you know. On my test device, with our MDM, it worked fine to block apps in private section.

I tested it with youtube and it's also not shown in the playstore after that as well (personal play policy).

Lamm

Thank you @Moombas for testing!

Switching MDM software would be a big chalenge as we have approx 50k of active devices 😅

Moombas

That wasn't my plan 😉

Just wanted to show that this is maybe an issue to the MDM and you should raise this up to your MDM's support team because otherwise i would expect to see the same issue.

Lizzie
Google Community Manager
Google Community Manager

Hey @Lamm,

I have an update! 😀

The good news is that this is implemented and available on Intune. 

You should be able to find the setting in the 'Personal profile' section > 'Type of restricted apps' of your console. Her is a screenshot:

Screenshot 2023-10-04 at 11.13.52.png

Here is a document which provides a little more information, as a starting point to where you are trying to get to. 

I hope this is what you were looking for, let me know how you get on. Fingers and toes crossed. 

Thanks for your patience on this.

Lizzie

FYI @Moombas and thanks for your help.

Welcome to the Community everyone!

Have a question or want to start a conversation, click here.

Moombas

Hey Lizzie,

very nice to bring this up here and way better than going thru a ticket with the MDM support (MS in this case).

Lamm

Thank you so much @Lizzie !

I will send this info to our partner to see if it works!

@Moombas Thank you as well!🙌