Android Enterprise Offline management

4tr
Level 1.5: Cupcake

Hi everyone, can I apply Android Enterprise policies to a device that's offline? My devices aren't always connected to the internet, so I need to manage policies after certain events happen, even without a connection. Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

mattdermody
Level 2.0: Eclair

It depends on the EMM and what they're using for the DPC. If you're using an AMAPI aligned EMM then my understanding is that the EMM is basically just a console and Google is doing the actual management of the device. In that scenario you would need the devices connected to a public internet connection, or at least with access to all of the Google services. With Custom DPC EMMs you can do many things offline and I have been successfully doing so for years. With fully managed devices, which I'm assume yours are based off the "offline" status, I typically do everything in my power to NOT rely on anything from Google services. They're unpredictable, unreliable, and don't offer admins much visibility or control. I may be a dissenting opinion here on the Android Enterprise forum, but thats my perspective shaped from years of experience deploying these devices. 

4tr
Level 1.5: Cupcake

Thank you very much. As far as I understand, the main problem is that Google no longer accepts custom DPCs, so basically it means there is no way at this time?

mattdermody
Level 2.0: Eclair

Google is not accepting NEW custom DPC based EMMs and is forcing new market entrants toward AMAPI. Existing custom DPC based EMMs are grandfathered in thankfully.