Zero-Touch-Registration is not available

Zackory
Level 1.5: Cupcake

Dear Community Members,

We are currently encountering an issue with the enrollment of three recently acquired Samsung S23 devices. While we are able to successfully enroll other devices, these specific models are presenting a persistent problem.

The error message displayed is as follows: "Zero-Touch Registration is not available. Check your internet connection and try again."

To address this, we have attempted the following troubleshooting steps:

1. Utilized mobile data from various carriers as well as Wi-Fi connections, yet the error persists.
  2. Formatted the devices.
  3. Completely removed the devices from the Zero-Touch portal (https://partner.android.com/zerotouch#) and subsequently re-added them.
  4. Attempted manual enrollment using the QR Code provided by Intune.

Despite these efforts, the issue remains unresolved. Interestingly, we have successfully enrolled a Samsung XCover 5 without encountering any similar difficulties.

We are reaching out to inquire if others in the community are experiencing similar challenges with Samsung S23 devices. Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Kind regards,

Zackory

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Lizzie
Google Community Manager
Google Community Manager

Hello everyone, 

I hope you are doing well. 

I wanted to come back to you all with some positive news a fix has been implemented for this issue. I've heard from a couple of you that this is now working. If you could all check your impacted devices please to see if this has been resolved and let me know, that would be a great help. 

Once again a massive thank you for all the feedback you have shared in this discussion, it has really helped to get this resolved. 

Hope to hear from you soon and thanks again.

Lizzie

P.S - I will mark this as resolved and update the service announcement, but do keep me posted if you believe this isn't the case. Thanks.

Welcome to the Community everyone!

Have a question or want to start a conversation, click here.

View solution in original post

70 REPLIES 70

Moombas
Level 4.0: Ice Cream Sandwich

Hi Eric, 

but as far as i know (i don't use Intune) "qrCodeContent" should work but only if you have the "expirationDate" in there as well or your {} are done wrong. But in your case the expiration date looked like wrong, the date must be in the future and maximum 65 years ahead.

weberda
Level 2.0: Eclair

EricW
Level 1.6: Donut

I did, I got an error message, saying that "the application was not found in the Managed Play store. (0xC7D24FBB).  When I attempted to use a web browser to access the Galaxy Store and install it told me that the app was not compatible for this device and said the model number was for a S8 phone.  Very strange, but yet all the other apps installed. 

Lizzie
Google Community Manager
Google Community Manager

Hello @Zackory@EricW@weberda@Varun3330@Oliver_Reitz@Sagarlps@AndriusG@LFagni@Peter, @Marina, @EdwinK, @HarmonJames, @treborny, @xfiha 

Once again, thank you all for you help and discussion here.

I just wanted to update you that we now have a service announcement here in the Customer Community. I think you are all aware of the content already shared in it, but I still wanted to make you aware of it. 

Due to the time of year I imagine that there won't be many more updates on this until the new year, but if I receive anything earlier I will continue to monitor and share. 

Thank you again and speak to you again soon.

Lizzie

*N.B - so this response gets seen at the top of the discussion, I've selected this as an accepted solution, but please note this is still on-going. You can still add replies below. Thank you

bbeninga

Hi Lizzie,

just FYI: I have the same problem with at least one S21 5G device in my company (MS Intune). 

Regards,

Björn

Lizzie
Google Community Manager
Google Community Manager

Thanks for sharing @bbeninga.

Arifn

Hello Lizzie,
Even we can confirm that we have a Samsung S22 modell that is getting the same error.
I can see your comment is from 3 weeks ago. Any update on this?

//Arif

Lizzie
Google Community Manager
Google Community Manager

Hello @Arifn,

The latest update I have is here, but I'm continuing to monitor and if I hear any update on the timeframe I'll let you know. 

Do keep me posted on your side if you can. 

Thank you,

Lizzie

Arifn

Hello @Lizzie ,

Thanks for the update! So I could recreate the problem my self with a brand new Samsung S22 Enterprise Edition. Unboxed the phone and got it enrolled with ZTE without a problem, Android 13 was on the phone. While enrolled I updated to the latest android version 14 and did factory reset. Now I tried to enroll after the reset and got the error message about ZTE not being available. Hope this helps.

Kind regards
Arif

EricW

Yesterday, I was able to setup a brand new out of the S23 phone from Verizon with no issues.  I checked that it was listed in our Android Zero Touch portal, made sure it had the correct assigned configuration. Turned on the phone and it went through the zero touch setup and connected with Microsoft Intune just like it should with no issues.  Hopefully that is a good sign, that the issue is getting resolved. 

Lizzie
Google Community Manager
Google Community Manager

Thanks for the update @EricW, great to hear. How are the other devices you were trying to register? 

EricW

For the other devices that I was having issues with, I was able to skip the Android Zero touch, and scan the QR code in Intune to get the phone enrolled.  

Arifn

Maybe this is because you had Android v.13 on S23 that's why you didn't have any issues.
I had the same experience with S22 UNTIL I upgraded to latest android version and reset the device.
You could try to upgrade a test S23 to the latest android version and see.

Lizzie
Google Community Manager
Google Community Manager

Hello everyone,

I hope you are all having a good start to the 2024! 

I just wanted to come back to you to say that the update before the end of last year is still the most up-to-date information I have. If you haven't seen our service announcement with more details, please take a look here. To add, I believe the date Samsung are working to provide an update for this issue is February 2024. If anything changes on this I will be sure to let you know. 

I am continuing to gather additional information from the community and feeding this back to the team, so if anyone else is impacted please do let me know. 

Once again, I am sorry you are experiencing this and hope to speak with you more soon.

Thank you,

Lizzie

*N.B - so this response gets seen at the top of the discussion, I've selected this as an accepted solution, but please note this is still on-going. You can still add replies below. Thank you

TReinhold

Thanks for the last update, I do have the same issue with a Samsung A54 5G and Android 14 in my company and I am desperate to get this working.. hope this will be fixed soon!!

Best regards, Tobias

Lizzie
Google Community Manager
Google Community Manager

Hello everyone, 

I wanted to come back to you all with some positive news a fix has been implemented for this issue. I've heard from a couple of you that this is now working. If you could all check your impacted devices please to see if this has been resolved and let me know, that would be a great help. 

Once again a massive thank you for all the feedback you have shared in this discussion, it has really helped to get this resolved. 

Hope to hear from you soon and thanks again.

Lizzie

P.S - I will mark this as resolved and update the service announcement, but do keep me posted if you believe this isn't the case. Thanks.

NickS

What are the details for the fix?

As per Samsung this will be fixed per binary  update: https://docs.samsungknox.com/admin/knox-platform-for-enterprise/kbas/kba-1120-unable-to-enroll-devic...

NickS

It's working now

Lizzie
Google Community Manager
Google Community Manager

Thanks @NickS. Great to hear this is working for you now, thanks for sharing an update. 

To answer your original question regarding the details of the fix, Samsung has now updated their SA with more details on this in the 'Resolution' section, you can take a look here. Hope this helps. 

Thanks again,

Lizzie

kc

Is this issue/event completely over?

We are having issues in a somewhat similar scenario.

In our case, it is with Samsung S23s with Android 14 enrolling into MS Intune, while using Samsung Knox Mobile Enrollment (as opposed to Google Zero-Touch Portal).

The process gets to a point where Chrome is browsing to https://play.google.com. The page just says: Please click here to continue. No matter how many times we tap on that page, nothing happens. Eventually, if waiting a long enough time, the phone just restarts and is in some weird state.

This is what it looks like.

samsung zte error.jpg

We've asked MS, but they say once they direct the page to Google's server, then it is all controlled by Google at that point.

Incidentally, I tried to start a new post with this, but, after waiting several hours, it never showed up. I'm assuming it was rejected?

Thanks.

Moombas
Level 4.0: Ice Cream Sandwich

Maybe if someone is interested:

We faced the issue as well, that some (in this case a batch of 5) devices now weren't able to detect zero-touch and enrolled as a consumer device.

It didn't help to set them to "no configurtion" and assign back the correct one manually per device BUT doing the same via a batch file solved it for us (at least for those).

@Lizzie Not sure if it makes sense for Google to look into this if there's any difference and why this can happen.